Passports and Visas

If you are planning to travel out of the country, you need to obtain a passport, and some countries require a visa in addition to a passport. To obtain a passport or visa, please review the following information.

If you have additional questions not answered here or have an emergency passport request, please fill out an authorization form or contact the Lincoln office for immediate assistance at (402) 438-1598.

Passport and Visa Links On-line:

Frequently Asked Questions About Passports and Visas:

How do I get a passport?

  • Passports are obtained through the Passport Services Division of the Department of State. Through your local passport acceptance agent, usually a Post Office, you can apply for a new passport, renew your old one, or do any number of things, including replacing a lost, stolen, or damaged passport, or adding new pages to your existing book. You can search for application locations near you and print out passport forms at the website.

How long will it take to get my passport?

  • Passport applications are currently averaging between 4-6 weeks to process. For an additional fee of $60, an application can be expedited and the passport received in about 2-3 weeks.

Do I need a travel visa in addition to my passport?

Where can I find government information for overseas travel?

  • Check the State Department website for travel advisories and consular information sheets that provide very helpful information about the country you plan on visiting. This is especially helpful during the current War on Terrorism. The U.S. State Department website also contains very comprehensive information on all the services it provides both stateside and abroad. This includes crisis assistance for U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad, and various travel publications available on-line.

How can I contact American Embassies and Consulates?

What are the new passport requirements for travel in the Western Hemisphere?

  • U.S. citizens and citizens of Canada, Mexico and Bermuda traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport or other WHTI-compliant documentation to enter (or depart) the U.S. Click here for more information.

What do I do if I applied for a passport, have not received it, and am traveling within seven days?

  • Our office may be able to help you. Please call (402) 438-1598.